Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Love Story ~ Part Nine

To read the prior gory details of my dramatic romance, click here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I knew who had sent the rose. The car salesmen that I worked with were giving me a hard time. I grinned and shrugged. "It's unsigned." I told them when they asked me who my new guy was. (A girl has to keep some things to herself. Discretion is a lost art.) "OH! A secret admirer!" They all chimed in. These men reminded me of the guys I went to school with...in sixth grade! I laughed it off.
That night, I told my parents about my surprise rose.
"The card was unsigned, but I know Bumper sent it." I told them.
"No, I bet it was Mike." My Mom said. I think I had failed to tell her about Bumper telling me - through his friend Terry - that he liked me. (See? There are those sixth grade tendencies again!) I really didn't think much of it. I had seen how quickly Bumper liked girls, and then all of a sudden, didn't like them anymore. I couldn't handle that kind of heartbreak right now, and maybe not ever. I filled Mom and Dad in at the table that night. Dad was a little miffed that Bumper would send me a rose without talking to him first.
"No, Mom, I know it's not from Mike."
"How do you know? It wasn't signed?"
"I just know."
"Well, if Bumper sent it, don't acknowledge it. Just ignore him." She told me. I knew what she meant. She didn't want me fluttering over to Bumper all starry-eyed over one rose. He needed to prove himself to me, and to them. After all, he had been Mike's friend. How did we know he would be any different from Mike.

That night was our Wednesday night service. I got to church before Bumper. He came into our auditorium as I was walking out. I was waiting on my pastor's wife to arrive so we could practice the solo that I was singing that evening. As I passed by Bumper, he flashed me the biggest, toothiest grin I had ever seen. I did as Mom told me, I just kept walking, without a word.
When I went up to the piano to practice, Bumper was in his usual seat, with about three girls around him. I was, once again, thoroughly disgusted. Were they all blinded to how they looked, chasing after a guy like that? "Wait a minute." I thought to myself. "Is that how I looked, when I was dating Mike?" Eww. It was too horrible to imagine. I would never do that again!
After church, he approached me.
"Did you get something from me today, Valerie?" He asked me, smiling. He did have such a nice smile.
"Yes. I got something." I told him, keeping a straight face.
"Well? Did you like it?"
"Yes...it was nice. Thank you."
I headed out the door before he hounded me anymore about it.

He tried talking to me anytime he had the opportunity. He asked to sit by me. I said "No." He asked me out. I told him that he'd have to ask my Dad about that first. I was pretty confident that Dad would tell him "NO WAY!"
Bumper kept trying to talk to me.
"Valerie, I really like you. I wish you'd give me a chance." He would say.
"Why? What are your intentions?" I'd ask as haughtily as I could.
"My intentions? My intention is to marry you. I want to make you my wife. I want to have children someday. Three boys. The first one will be Terry Lee Basham, III- whom we'll call 'Buck'; the second will be James Owen and the third will be Gilbert Owen and we'll call him 'Gib'."
I stood there, listening, mouth agape. For one thing, I'd never known a guy to have so much to say. For another thing, I couldn't believe what he was saying! This was more than I bargained for. Was he serious? What dream world did he live in anyway? I'd never marry him, much less raise a passel of boys with him! The nerve! This was the guy who called me a "universal traveler" and laughed me to scorn at every turn! MARRY HIM?? Fuhgettaboutit! I was headed to college!
"Furthermore," He went on. What? There's more? "I want to take care of you. I want to buy the food you eat, the clothes you wear, everything." He actually looked sincere. "VALERIE! How could you think anything nice about this guy?" I told myself.
"That's nice." I said. "But, I don't think so. Not now, and not ever!!!" I turned to leave.

Every time our paths crossed - at college, at church, at bus meeting, it was more of the same! Trying to talk to me, trying to apologize for being a jerk, telling me how I was the one for him. He seemed oblivious to my lack of interest, and even my disgust for him.
Bro. Graham started to tease me about it all. "I think he's probably the one for you, Valerie. You better not say "never", cause it could happen." He would say with a grin.
Finally, he wore me down enough that I agreed to let him sit with me in church. I started being polite to him, and hey, that was a big step for me! We had regular conversations about what I would do at college, about my family, my perceptions of him during our camp years, and so forth. We actually became friends, but no more! I wasn't dating him, I was just being nice.
It was March now. I couldn't believe how in just a few short months we had gone from mortal enemies, to friends. Later, I found out why. One day, I stumbled upon Bumpers' prayer list in the church auditorium. You couldn't mistake his handwriting! I found out that Bumper and his friend, Terry, got up early each day and went to our church auditorium. There they both prayed. I'm not sure what Terry prayed about, but Bumper was praying for me, and for my Dad, to like him. The list had Valerie Courtney written at the top, and Ron Courtney beneath that, and then many other names. Perhaps my change in feelings were the work of the Lord.

Was the Lord answering his prayers, or mine?

To be continued...

11 comments:

Abby said...

Oh my how sweet! Valerie, that is so awesome!

Nancy M. said...

I stopped by to visit your blog today through Ladies of Grace. I have been at FBC of Hammond for 30 years now and was so excited to see your journey with your sweet family. Very nice blog. I may visit again soon.
Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed weekend!-Mrs. M.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo impressed that you didn't make us wait forever. How many parts are there?
It is very sweet!!!! Poor Bumper.

Laura :) said...

Wowsers! Another installment today??!!! I laughed til I got to the end and then I cried!! How sweet!!! (BTW, I'm not laughing AT you...it's a sweet story and I enjoy it.)

Laura :)

Anonymous said...

I had never heard about having three boys and having the names already picked out. I missed so much by living in NC.

It was great to talk to you today.

Love,
Melanie

Amanda Tyler said...

I know I haven't commented in a while, but I have been keeping up with you. I have enjoyed reading your story even though I'm pretty sure I know how it's going to turn out! :)

Amanda

Amie said...

Valerie,
You've inspired me.. I think I will post my life saga too!!!! HAHAHA! It'll be greeeeeeeeeeaaat~ My sister just told me that I needed to write a book... hehe, and me, I can type and talk all day!

Kristy... said...

oh this is getting GOOD... I mean it already was.. but its getting better.. I cant wait to hear the rest! thanks for the prompt part 9.... but wheres 10??? :P

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

I am loving this~I got chills reading this part :D.

Not sure why, but my bloglines wasn't updating your posts for the past couple days :( It's getting annoying to say the least. I need to figure it all out.....

Hope you have a great weekend, and can't wait for the next part ;)

~Amy

Tori Leslie said...

Oh wow Valerie!! I didn't know you had a blog. I found you through Kristy's blog and I was so excited.
I looked at some photos of the going away party at the church and thought to meself... hmm, I know that place and then I realized it was you guys!

Oh yea, remember me, Tori Leslie, missionary wife in Croatia, we are at your home when we were there not too long ago.

We heard you were leaving and our good friends the Fraziers from our home church are going there to pastor.

This is too cool, it's like finding a lost friend.

I'm going to add you to my links on my blog and I'll be adding you to my Bloglines too.

God bless you and Bro. Terry and you serve the Lord where ever He sends you.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall someone telling me to "Keep up the good work", with posting. Do you recall who that person was? ;] So here it is rtbkatya!
|Keep up the good work|

Now I know that your busy with homeschooling, housework, mothering, and this is a big one -husband training :p (or wait that should be switched right P. Terry)and ministering as a PW, but it has been 5 whole days since you posted. That is a very long time for you lady.

I'm putting in a plug here for your screaming love-story fans. lol

If it makes you feel any better, I'm posting tonight. lolol I'm even going to update my T.T.T too!! I know - don't fall off your seat. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do today. I cleaned out the vans and washed car seats last week [I forgot to get after pictures :[ though] and the week before that I got my coffee/spice area done, of which are all posts I have to Ketchup:p on. I forgot that this last week we had a teen conference to go to so the vans need cleaning out again. {shrugs} As such is life!

Gotta Run For Now,
LYL