Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Love Story~ Part Three

Years had passed since that first, unforgettable conversation. Many summers had come and gone. Nearly every year, I would see "Bumper" at camp...but believe me, it was from a distance! He always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. He seemed like there was something smoldering right beneath the surface that was about to explode any minute. I took that observation as my cue to steer clear.
I had begun a relationship during my senior year of high school with a guy that lived nearby. The only problem was this: I don't think he really liked me. But don't you worry, I didn't let that bother me! In fact, I really didn't worry about it. I felt like "Hey. He'll come around!" (Wasn't I mature?) I did all the talking. I chose the restaurants we ate at when we went on a chaperoned date. Since most of my friends were married, my not having even a date would be too horrible to imagine! (Yes, now you can really see how mature I was! Yes, I did make my parents proud.) Even after this guy lied to me about something, I still felt like he had to be the one. Truthfully, I wanted to get married to keep me from going away to Bible college. I didn't want to leave home. I didn't want to pursue a degree just to find a mate. If I wanted a degree, I wanted to go to college just for that and not be worried about meeting "Mr. Right".
My parents and I talked things over. (I have wonderful parents. They liked to talk to me! :] ) Here were my options: 1. Go to college. 2. Stay home, get a job, and buy a car. I chose option 2.
Literally, the very next day after choosing option two, a lady in my church called me to tell me that the receptionist at the car dealership where she worked had just left - without giving notice. Was I interested a job in which I would talk on the phone and page people over a loud speaker?? Are you kidding me? That would be my dream job! She said, "Get down here right away of you're interested." I drove down, filled out the application and ran into a man in our church who was a salesman there. He asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was on a job hunt or something equally intelligent. He stepped back into the office. He came out. I talked to the office manager. She said "Thank you. We'll let you know."
I went home, nervous and hopeful. Was this really working out? Was I not going to have to go to college?? My brother and sister went to Bible college. I would probably be letting the family down in the worst way by not going. Oh well. I didn't mind being the maverick. I was always a little strange anyway. They probably weren't surprised.
The phone rang that same day. It was Lynn. "Valerie, we'd like to give you the job. When can you start?"
"Well, how 'bout tomorrow?" I asked.
There was silence for a moment. "Well," Lynn said "I was hoping you could start today. Dorothy could train you on the phones this afternoon."
"Well today sounds great!"
I headed down to Landers with my head in the clouds. "I had a job! Not just a job flipping burgers or filling tacos (been there, done that) but a job in an office!!!"
I worked the phones using my most sophisticated voice, "Landers Olds GMC, how may I direct your call? Parts? Sure, just one moment." And with all the know-how that a girl 20 minutes on the job could muster, I promptly directed their call to... Sales!! Whoops! I then I had to get them back, apologize, explain I was new and then ask someone in a loud whisper "WHERE'S PARTS AGAIN???"
I had my share of complaints at first, but I didn't care. After work, I felt like walking downtown and throwing my beret high into the air while singing the Mary Tyler Moore show theme song. Only one thing stopped me... I didn't have a beret. I worked right beside Mr. John Landers, one of the owners. I often doubled as his secretary. It wasn't that I was so talented or anything, it's just he didn't have a secretary. I remember asking him "Mr. Landers..."
He interrupted me, "It's John. Mr. Landers is my Dad." Now, John was 64 years old. I was 18. I felt very strange calling a 64 year old man "John". But, hey, he was the boss. "Yes sir, Mr...I mean John."
The September after starting my job, two things happened that changed my life. One was buying my first car. It was a 1995 teal-green, four door, 4 cylinder, power everything, Pontiac Grand Am. I know, you're thinking "Wow, Valerie! Suh-weet!" Yes indeedy! Please, no envy. The second thing was seeing "Bumper" for the first time in about two years. He came in late to our Back to School Revival meeting. He was coming to our small Bible College. Someone said he had surrendered to preach! WHAT?? Bumper? NO WAY!! I found it hard to believe. But sure enough,it was true. I was sitting with my boyfriend in the service, and didn't even know "Bumper" was there until Bro. Graham mentioned it from the pulpit when he came in late. He had a flat tire on I-30 that caused his delay. I remember looking back and thinking "Bumper?? That isn't the Bumper I remember. He looks...good!" I then mentally scolded myself for thinking that someone as arrogant as he was could be good looking!
But believe me, while I was impressed with his appearance, that was it! It wouldn't take long for me to see that Bumper Basham was going to give me trouble.

To be continued...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was getting worried that you were sick since you hadn't posted in so long. I'm relieved to read your blog this morning. Don't make us wait too long to continue the "love story serial."
I love you.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting so far!

Love,
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Amen to your moms comment. I was beginning to think that your computer had crashed. I have enjoyed reading about your life.
Enjoy your week!!!!!